Yoga & Senior Citizens
Age is just a number! Under this pretext, a lot of people tend to ignore their mental and physical health. Specially We are Conducting Yoga Classes For Senior Citizen in Palakkad, Kerala, India. We take best care to Senior Citizen and teaching simple yoga training in Palakkad.
Here are some tips for elderly Yoga beginners
• Eat four meals a day and try to eat only when hungry. Elderly beginners should avoid overeating. Socialize more with people your age and take regular walks. Try to surround yourself with positive and like-minded people.
• Try to reflect on your day-to-day events. Keep yourself busy!
• Try to be caring and compliment when need be. Make an effort and try to change something without expectations because this is also Yoga.
Here are some beneficial Asanas for senior citizens:
Sitting Yoga Asanas:
• Baddha Konasana or Butterfly Pose – This posture gently exercises the hips and joints which inadvertently help to clear bowel movements and regulates digestion. It also reduces knee joint pain and stiffness.
• Ananda Balasana or Happy Baby Pose – An excellent Asana for elderly beginners in Yoga! Practicing this pose helps to calm the nervous system and relieves back pain.
• Marjariasana or Cat-Cow Pose- A good sequence to start with, for seniors or yoga beginners. Marjariasana helps tone abdominal muscles, improves digestion and relaxes the mind.
Standing Yoga Asanas:
• Trikonasana or Triangle Pose- Trikonasana will help stretch the spine and opens the hip region which on the other hand helps in regulating blood pressure which is a common complaint amongst the elderly.
• Talasana or Palm tree Pose- This pose works perfectly for the stooping elderly citizens and helps improve their posture. It strengthens their weak muscles in the thighs and ankles, thus making it easier for them to move.
Lying Down On Back or Stomach Yoga poses:
• Pavanamuktasana or Wind relieving pose – One of the best Asana that can be done by lying down on your back. This pose releases flatulence which is a common digestive issue among seniors. Moreover, it increases blood circulation to the hip region and is also useful in releasing tension.
• Bhujangasana or Cobra pose – With passing time, the blood circulation tends to weaken in an elderly person’s body, hence this pose is recommended to help strengthen the same. Furthermore, it helps them feel more active as the Bhujangasana pose provides strength to the back and shoulders muscles.
• Shalabhasana or Locust pose – It’s one of the best poses to tone the neck and lower back muscles and increase suppleness. It also tones the abdominal organs and improves digestion.
Try Pranayamas to ease Stress and Anxiety:
Pranayama I or Equal Breathing, Abdominal Breathing, Anulom- Vilom or Alternate Breathing exercises are a must for senior citizens when it comes to easing stress, to relax and get a good night sleep.
Last but not least, Good Restful Sleep is vital:
Shavasana or Corpse pose relaxes all the muscles in the body. It releases pent-up stress and helps alleviate body pain, tension and fatigue thus relaxing the mind enough for good night sleep.
To sum up Yoga for senior citizens – the more you’ll practice it, the more independent it will make you of others. Moreover, regular classes also improve ROM (range of motion) and will keep you fit. Hence switch to a better lifestyle and live healthier, the Yoga way.